Wednesday, January 28, 2009

That's What Friends Are For

Last night, the hubby and I went out for dinner with our friends, Lou and Linda. We always have such a great time with them. Let me tell you why.

We first met Lou and Linda a little over two years ago when we bought the business that we currently own. Lou was a customer of the business before we even owned it and he was one of the first people that we met when we started there. From the first day we met him, he was so great to us. At the time, we were a little stressed (OK...a lot stressed) because we were learning how to run a new business, trying to upgrade equipment, organize our environment, make our customers comfortable with the transition, etc...Lou was (and is) such a great resource for us, answering questions, providing us with information, and letting us utilize his business when we needed to use equipment that we didn't own, but that would make our jobs easier.

A few months after meeting Lou and doing work for him, he invited us to have dinner with him and his wife. Of course, he was such a nice guy, we said yes. So, one night, we decided to meet at his house before dinner. This is when we met his wife Linda for the first time.

OK...so you know how I can be a little cynical sometimes (yeah...I said a LITTLE)? Well, let me tell you what happened. We walk into their home and immediately we were greeted with hugs by the nicest woman you will ever meet. She was so sweet and welcoming. I'm telling you, the hubby and I were secretly exchanging glances and thinking, "Are these people for real? My God! They are so nice! OK...Where's the hidden camera?"

Now, let me just say that I know there are a lot of nice people in this world. But, having dealt with a lot of not so nice people or as I like to call them, "people who suck the life out of you", I have learned that my free time is valuable and I need to spend that time with people who lift me up and make me appreciate life more. My friend Linda says, "You have a choice. You can be bitter or you can be better." Knowing her and Lou has definitely made us better (Note: Linda is writing a great inspirational book. I will post more info on that when it becomes available).

So, here are some pictures of us at dinner last night. This is Linda, Lou, and me (on the right). Is it me or does Lou look like a Rico Suave?




Here's me and Paul (usually referred to as "the hubby"):





Oh, and since I'm showing you pictures of my friends, let me just say that another reason I think Lou is so great is that he helps me with my quest for healthy eating. Here we are on a previous outing experimenting with the "Big Fat Peanut Butter Cup Diet." FYI, I recommend it highly:




And finally, for shits and giggles, here's one last story about Lou and Linda. They are not only kind, generous, sincere, and all around great people. They are also funny as hell.

One day last year, when the hubby and I were on vacation in Vegas, Lou called the hubby's cell phone to chat...you know...to find out what we were doing and if we were having fun. So, when Lou and Linda went on vacation to Aruba and WE WERE WORKING, I decided to reciprocate. So, I called them.

We were freezing our butts off in Rhode Island and they were strolling the beach in Aruba. NICE. So, to goof around, I casually told Lou that I hoped he was wearing a tasteful bathing suit on the beach and not scaring anyone with one of those disgustingly tacky Speedos (aka...banana hammock) which are gross on any man. This was the picture that Lou and Linda sent me in response:




FYI...He's not wearing a diaper. It's his bathing suit worn inside out.

*NOTE: Upon receiving a "Cease and Desist" letter from Lou's lawyer, the
online publication of this photo may be temporary. Copy and
paste it quickly!!!

I hope today's blog entry will inspire you all to call or e-mail your good friends and tell them how much you appreciate having them in your lives. Have a great day everybody!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great message Sal! I couldn't agree more. Pam

queenie said...

good friends r hard to find. people who want nothing more from
u but friendship, priceless.
Good 4 u four enjoy.

Anonymous said...

"Through good times, through bad times, i'll be on your side forever more....Thats what friends are for!!!"Dionne Warwick