Thursday, January 15, 2009

To Hell And Back

All of this frigid weather has got me thinking about my favorite place in the whole world, Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman. Paul (the hubby) and I try to go there every year to bask in the sun and swim in the crystal blue waters. Man, what I wouldn't give to be there right now.

I have a funny story about the last time we were there.

One beautiful sunny day (about 3 days into my vacation), I was lying by the pool at my resort reading through the local Grand Cayman magazine. I was trying to decide on a few new tropical adventures to partake in when to my amazement, I discovered that there was a town on the island called Hell. Hmmm...I had a light bulb moment.

The very next day, hubby and I rented a car to explore the island. The first stop on the agenda HAD to be Hell. Why, you ask? Because we have a friend who is a Catholic priest.....and I thought.....Wouldn't it be hilarious if I sent him a postcard with a postmark from Hell?

So, we got into our rental car and drove all over freakin creation looking for Hell. It was literally hell finding Hell. I guess Satan doesn't believe in street signs. Finally, we find the post office where I pick out the perfect postcard for my friend, the priest. On it, I wrote this message:

Dear Father P.,
Having a great time! And, guess what? They've been lying to you! Hell is great! The weather is perfect here everyday! There are beautiful sandy beaches and lots of frozen tropical drinks! And do you know what else? They let you eat rum cake for breakfast! Whoo hoo!!
Wish you were here!

PS. Now you can tell your parishioners that you know people who've been to Hell and back!


We came home a week later. When we ran into him next, I asked him if he got my postcard. He said he did. Then he rolled his eyes and shook his head.

Apparently, he doesn't think I'm funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.