Friday, January 2, 2009

Viva Las Enchiladas

OK.  So something everyone should know about me is that I usually have a really difficult time adapting to change.  Now don't get me wrong.  If I suddenly lost 40 pounds, I would have no problem getting used to my smaller butt.  That kind of change would make me want to run around naked doing the macarena but, I digress.  I'm talking about the kind of change, for whatever reason, that makes you feel like you've lost a very important part of your life.  I can't stand it.  But, that is the way that the chocolate chip espresso cookie crumbles and I, like all of you, have no other choice but to adapt to new situations....which brings me to my story...

I recently met with two friends (who for all intents and purposes will be herein referred to as Lucy and Ethel) that I haven't seen in a very long time.  We used to be much closer when we worked and lived near each other but my husband and I moved to the country, bought a new business, and you know the drill.  So, we decided to meet for dinner and to catch up on old times.  My Spanish is a little rusty here but lets just say that this idea was a mucho grande mistake (you'll get the Mexican references later).  

OK, so we all finally meet at the restaurant and exchange hugs and small talk and very quickly the whole episode fell to crap.  Real crap.   Apparently, Lucy and Ethel decided to meet earlier than I could so that they may indulge in a few cocktails before dinner.  Lucy was LIT by the time I got there and Ethel, who was nursing her first drink, was annoyed.  I ignore this situation, put on my "I'm so happy to be here" face and order my food and my Diet Coke with lemon.  Before I know it, Ethel is asking Lucy all about her beliefs because apparently, Lucy has found herself a new "religion".  Drunk Lucy is mad...feels like WE are picking on her even though I have not said a word and starts trying to convert us...telling us all about her new "pasture" and what he preaches.  All I said, and I am not kidding here was, "Do you mean your pastor?"  And she all but went into convulsions.  She looked at me and said, "YOU THINK YOU'RE SO SMART!  JUST BECAUSE YOU GRADUATED CINCO DE MAYO!"  I was stunned and puzzled.  What the heck was she talking about?  Then, I got it.  We once had a conversation about my graduating from college (way back in 1993) with a 3.9 GPA.  Yep, I graduated Summa Cum Laude.  

So, now drunk Lucy is seething, Ethel and I are laughing so hard we are crying and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.....it did.  Lucy lifts her shirt, flashes everyone at Applebee's and storms out.  Real nice, Lucy.  Your mother would be proud.  Now, here is what I learned about adapting to change from this experience:

1.  Friendships  sometimes dissolve when two people grow apart...and that's OK. 

2.  Never discuss religion or politics with someone you want to remain friends with, especially
     if they are drunk.

3.  From now on, in honor of my 1993 college graduation,  I will celebrate Cinco de Mayo with
     gusto (a good change...yippee)!  

4.  It doesn't matter how old I am.  My mother would smack me if I EVER flashed my boobs to 
     anyone, anywhere (this will never change). 


So, that's it for today, my friends. I hope you all have a nice weekend!!!!!  Viva las nachos bell grandes (too much Taco Bell in my life).  Ole!!


      


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.