Monday, March 16, 2009

Just Call Me Mrs. Roper

Today, I decided to take a stand. Let me set the background.

On Friday, my Mother called me. She was all in a tizzy because there was a large leak in one of her tenant's apartments. Now, if you don't already know this, my Mother is in her late seventies and is a force to be reckoned with. I don't know how I got stuck with the job of being her property manager, but it is what it is. So, I just deal with the bullshit the best way I can (so far, I'm not a boozer but anything can happen).

Anyhow, I called a friend of mine who used to be a plumber (but is now a politico) to ask him if he could give me the name of a reputable man for the job. He gave me two. So, I called them both and left the following message:

"Hi. My name is Sally and I got your name and number from John Smith. I'm having a bit of a plumbing emergency and John thought that you may be able to help me. Please call me at your earliest convenience. And, if you can't do the job, I would appreciate it if you would let me know as soon a possible. That way I can make other arrangements. You can reach me at ##########. Thanks so much."

That was Friday. Today is Monday. Neither douche bag called me back.

Of course, I am an educated, resourceful woman who has been dealing with this apartment maintenance /landlady bullshit for most of my life. So, you know that I wasn't going to stop until I found a plumber who could and would do the job. And I did. But that's not the point here.

The point is that those two dudes that I called on Friday didn't think that I was important enough to acknowledge. So, I let their unprofessionalism (not a real word according to spellcheck) bug me all weekend. Then today, I called them again. Here's what I left on their voicemail:

"Hi. This is Sally, John Smith's friend. Remember I called you on Friday about a plumbing emergency that I needed assistance with? Yeah, well I found someone else to do the job. But, I wanted to call you one more time to let you know that when you don't return phone calls, people like me will think you're an asshole." CLICK.

Yes. I really did.

Seems the older I get, the less I can control myself.

1 comment:

H.K. said...

Good for you! I would have done the same thing! I probably would have added a few more other adjectives, but you definitely got your point across.