Monday, March 30, 2009

Weekend Update

Things I Learned This Weekend:

*You know how some companies offer sign up bonuses when wooing prospective new employees? In an attempt to increase vocations, they should do that in seminaries. Every seminarian who is less than six months away from being ordained a priest should get a shiny new Apple IPhone, complete with monthly service.

*You might think that a $250.00 restaurant gift certificate would be plenty to cover dinner for three women. Um...NO....You'd be wrong.....and my belly still hurts. More about this another day.

*I sat a table and shared lunch and stimulating conversation with the hubby and three priests (one is a very good friend) after a funeral on Saturday afternoon. When I told them how long hubby and I had been married (almost 17 years), they all came to a consensus stating that the secret to all lasting marriages is that at some point, all husbands develop a survival mechanism called "selective hearing." Apparently, they use this to "tune out" their wives and hold on to their sanity. I asked the hubby, "Is that true?" His response was, "WHAT?"
Smart ass.

*My friend, the priest, told me that he couldn't get me into heaven. Basically, he said that I am responsible for getting myself there...You know...by the way I live my life in the here and now. I asked him, "Well, how am I doing so far?" He shrugged and said, "Eh...pretty good." Hmmm.....not very convincing if you ask me. Maybe I should start being a little nicer to people. Anybody need to borrow any money??

*And on a more serious note, the last lesson of the weekend is: It doesn't matter how old you are, how old they are, or how sick they've been. To lose a parent is a terrible thing. If you still have one or both of yours in your life, be grateful.

No comments: