Thursday, June 11, 2009

Just Say No To Carbs!

This week, for the first time in my life, I engaged in a threesome.

OK. Now that I have your attention, get your pervy minds out of the gutter. That's NOT what I'm talking about.

What I am referring to is an Italian food fest that I went to with my husband and our friend, Lou (his wife, Linda, was home sick).

The food fest was called The Federal Hill Stroll and it took place in a very prominent Italian neighborhood in Providence, RI. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Federal Hill and its restaurants, let me just say that the food there can be classified in two ways: (A) a carb lover's HEAVEN on earth, and (B) a weight watcher's HELL on wheels.

And let me just begin by telling you that collectively, the damage Paul, Lou, and I did? Well, lets just say it was not pretty.

Basically, we began our Italian food gorgerama by donning these buttons:


For a nominal fee, a button like this got you two beverages of your choice and all the food you could ingest in three hours. That's A LOT of food, people.

After donning our licenses to eat like beasts (buttons), we grabbed our maps:


And we basically went to EVERY restaurant taking part in the stroll to sample their yummy garlic laden wares.

We drank wine and sangria. We ate penne with pink vodka sauce, eggplant lasagna, chicken piccata, pasta bolognese, penne with pesto sauce, barbecue ribs, flavorful rice dishes, and pasta marinara.

I KNOW! We totally deserved to be flogged by the weight watcher police!

And, if that wasn't gluttonous enough, we ended our stroll here:



...where we drank iced cappuccinos and ate the BEST DAMN CANNOLIS ON EARTH (yeah, that's me drooling on the pastry case...I was high on carbs and can not be held accountable)!

And after getting all jacked up on wine, pasta, and sugar, this is what was left of Paul and Lou:




And for the grand finale:



I told you it wasn't going to be pretty....














7 comments:

jessi said...

Italian is both the answer to my prayers and the nightmare the makes me wake up sweating at night. Oh carbs, how I love thee - my must you lead me astray! That looks like so much fun - I want to visit RI someday.

Sally said...

Jessi,

Come to the Ocean State! It's beautiful here...and we have killer cannoli ;)

Rapunzel said...

Swoon....like so many other dieters, pasta and bread are my downfall! I can easily say no to sweets but give me a fresh baked loaf of French bread and I am done!

Sally said...

Rapunzel, I'm with you. Give me a loaf of bread, some dipping oil, a hunk of cheese, and some good wine. That's all I need for a good time.

Heather said...

Have I mentioned I'm moving to The Hill? It may just be my favorite place on the planet. I'm still sad I wasn't able to go on the stroll...

*Bitch Cakes* said...

I'm Italian and rarely eat Italian food. I think I got it out of my system when I was younger. But pizza will always be my favorite food ever!!!

Sally, please come visit me in NYC so I can take you to a 100+ year old bakery in the East Village and buy you cannoli and cappucino.

Sally said...

Sheryl, I would love that!!!! Someday....