Friday, December 18, 2009

Little Pig, Little Pig, Let Me In!

Last night, I met two friends---Pam and Joyce---for dinner (I met Joyce last night for the first time...Loved her!) at a very cozy little tavern in the country. We talked and laughed. We commiserated and listened. We drank wine and ate good food. It was really so much fun.

One of the things that we talked about was being forty and how we've changed since turning forty. Joyce said she liked being forty. It was really no big deal. Pam said, "With forty comes wisdom." And I? Well, I didn't really say much about the topic except that maybe I've noticed that since turning forty, my patience for other people's drama and negativity is at an all time low (they agreed).

I have to admit that last night? Pam and Joyce had me convinced that forty was fabulous. As I was driving home from the restaurant, I was thinking, Man...it's not so bad being a Cougar! There are benefits! We still look good. We feel good. We're wiser. And we're at a point in our lives where we're not willing to take on anymore of other people's bullshit! As long as we surround ourselves with positive people who are like us...people who share our values...people who are the same age that we are and feel the same way that we do, THEN, MAN! I'm liking it!

And then this morning?

My bubble burst.

I was washing my face...applying my moisturizer...smoothing in my eye cream. And I thought, twenty-year olds don't have to slather themselves with eye cream...bitches. And then? I noticed it. I inched closer to the mirror to get a better view. Was I seeing things? Was it really there?

You bet your effin ass it was. Right there, mocking me...was a fugging hair on my chinny chin chin. WTF?

And right there, after tweezing that sucker, reality bit me in the ass as I realized the secret. And I'm going to share it with you all...because I'm your friend.

The SECRET to COPING with being forty is surrounding yourself with those who can and will commiserate with you. It's that whole misery loves company thing. And the SECRET to actually being HAPPY about being forty? It's called Chardonnay, people.

13 comments:

Watching and Weighting said...

Chardonnay gives me a headache!!!

Sally said...

Lizzie,

Beer, tequila, gin, rum, chianti, etc....All excellent substitutions!

XOXO,
Sally :)

Watching and Weighting said...

what about a nice ice cold Shiraz rose wine?? I like that!!!! Will that work when I am 40? :) x

Jenn said...

I get a weird LONG hair that grows out of my cheek every once in a while. (I can see it out of the corner of my eye.) Gotta love rogue hairs! :) My liquid coping of choice is margarrrrrritas!!! ;0)

Sally said...

Shiraz, margaritas, martinis, champagne, mimosas, sangria...

Good Lord! The possibilities are endless!

:)

cmoursler said...

You have to remember, 20 year olds still are under the delusion that life will hand them whatever they want. At forty, we know we have to wrest life from it's cheap, stingy, grasping claws.
Age and treachery trumps youthful idealism any day of the week.

Sally said...

Hahahahaha...Age and treachery trumps youthful idealism....

I LOVE IT!

Rapunzel said...

LOL! Oh, honey, how true that is! I swear to goddess that since I've turned 40 I am keeping Woodbridge in business!

H.K. said...

I'm getting to that age where I'm getting waxed in places where hair shouldn't grow at all!

Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit said...

A little more wine, a little less whining...

Sally said...

Jack,

Or? A little less conversation, a little more action.

Oh, God. You know you're getting old when you start quoting Elvis.

Lilly said...

I must be a hairy behemoth, but I have been plucking hair since I was 12. But I come Eastern Europeans...nuff said, right? I think you look gorgeous, Sally, and shouldn't worry about a thing. I have been seeing little ways my body is starting to betray me, and I am 34.

Laura J. said...

Well don't worry. I was driving around with my daughter and she told me I had an effing hair growing from my chin. Not only was I embarrassed for my 17 year old to see it, when I finally got it pulled out (it was curly when I finally got that bastard out)it was like 1/2" long! On top of that, I'm only 37!!!!! Grrrr.

40 is the new hairy 20. So cougar it up.