Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Flu? Hemorrhoids? Yeast Infection? BE NICE Or You're Friggin Toast. Just Sayin...

Yesterday, Hubby and I were asked to be health care proxies for two of our family members.

This is not the first time we've been asked to do this.

Apparently, we have fooled people into thinking that we are responsible and/or possess some semblance of common sense/morality. Hmmm...

So, we met said victims of our future potential plug pulling at our lawyer's office (our lawyer is their lawyer), where he stood up in front of the room and drew us diagrams explaining deeds, irrevocable vs. revocable trusts, health care proxies, and homestead acts. YAWN.

And after we went over the whole role of the health care proxy---which in case you don't already know, is to make medical decisions which are in the best interest of a person who is mentally incapacitated and therefore unable to make those decisions for him/herself---the lawyer looked at Hubs and me and asked, "So. Sally? Paul? Any questions?

And OF COURSE, I couldn't let the opportunity pass. SO I asked...

Sally: Yeah. Um...The decisions that are made by the health care proxy? Do I have to follow a certain protocol? I mean...is there like a list of rules that I have to abide by or anything?

Lawyer: What do you mean?

Me: Okay. Let's say that SO AND SO has a really bad cold or something. And she's being a real bitch on wheels. Can I pull her plug? No questions asked?

Lawyer: Yep. Pull it. AND if for some reason you can't pull it? CUT IT. Whatever works.

I love my lawyer.

He really gets me.

7 comments:

Rob Dyess said...

I like this guy!!! Can you hook me up??

Amanda said...

Hehehe!!! Some lawyers seriously rock :)

Anonymous said...

It is smart to plan for tomorrow. However, I like to think that I will have my love ones forever, happy and healthy. So I rather plan trips and happy moments with my love ones. For example my family and I are planning a vacation at the beach! I will have plenty of time to deal with any situation, besides GOD always tells me what to do!

MB said...

Where in the world did you find a lawyer with a sense of humor?

Kyle Gershman said...

Oh totally...you wouldn't want someone to linger on with the sniffles. They should be at peace.

BippyMama said...

I changed my pull the plug person when we had a falling out. Figured she'd be too eager to pull it on me.

Anonymous said...

FINALLY someone with some forethought........can't tell you how many times this becomes a huuuuuuge problem when a patient is unable to make their own decisions, and there is no health care proxy in place.....do we or don't we pull the plug :)
Steph