Monday, April 9, 2012

Because He Can

My nephew, Jon (who's ten), spends virtually everyday that he has off from school with me and PC at work.  Because I have no idea how the public school schedule runs, I never know he's coming until suddenly, he comes running in the door at about 9:00 am yelling, "WHOO HOO!  GUESS WHO'S HERE FOR THE DAY?!!!!" 

"Oh, joy." I respond sarcastically and he laughs because he thinks my fake annoyance is just so funny.

On Good Friday, we had a super tight schedule at work, filled with deadlines.  So, when Jon came strolling in, I immediately told him that he was going out with me to do errands because Uncle Paul was really busy and he needed to focus on a job. 

While we driving to the bank, I noticed that Jon was fiddling around with a band aid on his leg.  I asked...

Me:  What happened to your leg?  Did that bratty dog, Maxie, bite you?  (FYI:  Maxie, who is an ornery little a-hole, is Jon's Grandma's dog.  He bites EVERYBODY who looks at him the wrong way.)

Jon:  No.  And anyway, I LOVE MAXIE!

Me:  You love him?  Even though he's so mean?

Jon:  Yeah.  He's funny.  Sometimes, he breaks into Nana's trash and drags it all around the house!

Me:  He bites everybody AND makes a mess?  He's lucky he's not my dog!

Jon:  Why?  What would you do?

Me:  I'd punish him.  Put him in timeout. Lock him in his crate....

Jon:  Do you know what today is?

Me:  Yes.

Jon:  Did you know that Jesus DIED on this day?

Me:  I've heard.

Jon:  THEN WHY ARE YOU BEHAVING LIKE THE ROMANS?!!!!

Me:  WHAT?

Jon:  You're being kind of mean.

Me:  If YOU bit people AND trashed your house, wouldn't you get punished?

Jon:  *pondering*  Um.  I guess....

***FAST FORWARD TWO MINUTES***

Jon:  Auntie?

Me:  What?

Jon:  I can lick my own armpit.  See?! (YEAH, HE DID)

Me:  That's just disgusting.

Jon:  I know!  Hehehehehe...

LESSON OF THE DAYPUNISHMENT IS TABOO.  LICKING ONE'S SWEAT GLANDS, ISN'T.











1 comment:

Amanda said...

Age 10, eh? Yeah, that sounds about right... LOL